Friday, July 6, 2012

Chair

We didn't have many chairs around as I was growing up. The boat had bunks and benches but they were awkward and uncomfortable. I prefered the floor. Watching movies on our tiny colour television, I would usually curl up on the floor of the galley (the kitchen area) with pillows and a blanket.

In the mornings, I sat on the deck, legs hanging off the bow as I wrote in my journal. Evenings, we usually laid outside in hammocks near the bow. Sometimes we would sit in the cockpit and my dad would play his guitar.

So I spent a lot of time sitting on the floor as a kid - something I attribute my relatively open hips to (along with endless squatting on archaeological sites later on).

When I moved into my first apartment, I could have cared less about chairs. I wanted a desk, for sure. We bought a dining room table too. When I moved to the city and my accommodations shrunk, I jettisoned what little furniture I had. For many years, I kept one folding chair (that I also used for yoga) and mostly sat on the floor or the futon.

But in my latest apartment reconfiguration, I was craving a place to sit and read that wasn't the bed or my window seat. So today I bought a chair - nothing fancy, just a simple seat from Ikea.

And you know what? I love it!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: