Friday, May 14, 2010

Astanga

Ha! I outsmarted Aunt Flo and managed to sneak a practice in right under the wire! A few hours later, my ‘holiday’ officially started. I’ll take a break from my Astanga practice for the weekend, but hopefully be back on Monday. Depending on how I’m feeling, I may do an extracurricular practice on Sunday, sans the inversions. I’m excited to test out the self-timer function of my new camera!

Today’s practice was good. Teacher P was solo this morning and I didn’t get many adjustments, but I was just so happy to be there (given the timing, I wasn’t sure if I would get a practice in at all today). My right shoulder is a bit sore, so I was just as happy to do Prasarita C on my own. I took a long Savasana.

I seem to have hit some kind on plateau in Supta Kurmasana. I need to work on opening up the external rotation of my hips. I’m going to try a few things this weekend, restorative and Hatha stuff. It will be fun to see if any of it helps with the pose!

Backbends were great fun today! I worked them in the usual way, but on the very last one, I walked in my hands and just kept walking. I wanted to see what would happen when my back stopped bending: My heels lifted. This is good to know! This is the ‘edge’ for me in Urdhva Dhanurasana. When my heels lift, I’ll know I’ve gone too far. But from now on, I’m going to try to get to that point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took this shot of the Princess for my inaugural photograph on the new camera. It was quick (I had to get out the door to a class). Princess Fur is never thrilled to have a camera in her face but, as always, she’s infinitely patient with me (in hopes that treats may be forthcoming):


Feed me!

No comments: