Monday, April 12, 2010

Astanga

I was very happy to be back in my ‘home Shala’ this morning. I learned a lot over the weekend, but I often felt ‘lost in the crowd’ in that big room. Through sheer dumb luck (or, dare I say it: good karma?), I’ve landed in a great Shala with two incredibly competent, caring and outstanding teachers. I was very happy to see them!

I settled into my favourite spot by the window and enjoyed the glow of the heaters around me. Happy warm room! I started my practice strong, but I was very tired midway through. My bind in Supta Kurmasana was MIA, but Teacher P came over and pulled me into it. It’s moments like these that I’m so deeply grateful for adjustments. At home by myself, I would have moved on and the pose wouldn’t have happened at all.

I revelled in my newly blissful Purvottanasana and Urdhva Dhanurasana definitely felt better today. The biggest change from my perspective: I can now breath long and slow and easy in the pose. I feel strong and stable enough that I’m not in a huge hurry to get out of it. Thank-you, Kino!

I wasn’t particularly sore. My serratus was talking to me a bit, but I’m almost embarrassed to ‘fess up to my main complaint: I seem to have developed shin splints walking to and from the workshops. Guess I should have worn better walking shoes!

As I was leaving the Shala, one of my teachers said: “You missed a great class yesterday!” and my face just crumpled. “I *know*!”, I replied.

Just thinking about the sweat bath I missed makes me very wistful. Hopefully, I’ll make it to the led Primary next week!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week’s 70s yoga Pin-up Girl, Kareen, leads us in a cheer:


“Oh, hai! I can haz pom-poms! OM!!!”

No comments: