Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Astanga

Ice hockey finals were last night. My poor, blighted team got destroyed 6-1. You know it’s bad when the opposing centre scores a goal, then says “Oops!” out loud. She didn’t mean to score, since her team was already up 4 points. It was an accident. *cringe*

We drowned our sorrows at the pub afterward. I had a really fun time, perhaps a bit *too* much fun because I staggered home tipsy and was slightly hungover in the morning.

I took Princess Fur for a walk to clear my head, then did my practice. The first half-hour was fine, but then I started to feel awful. I carried on and finished, though a large part of my ‘finishing poses’ were restorative (I skipped headstand). I took it easy, modifying many poses.

I’ve been feeling some tenderness around my left SI joint, particularly in the second side of Utthita Trikonasana. Today, I approached that pose very gently, doing it ‘Hatha style’, hand-to-shin on the second side. I modified all the twisting poses, especially the Marichyasanas. I did my intermediate poses, but very gently.

I skipped the backbending prep poses I usually do and went right into Urdhva Dhanurasana, to get it over with. To my surprise, Urdhva Dhanurasana felt terrific today - I felt strong and open. It was the best pose of the lot!

No comments: