Friday, January 29, 2010

Astanga

This morning, I practised my full Primary, working very hard in every pose (except Janu Sirsasana C, which I skipped, as always). I practised with my recently edited ’short version’ of the Beryl’s led Primary. I'm really enjoying the abbreviated version - it moves less quickly than Sharath’s, so I had time to really work each ‘lift-up’ in the seated vinyasas.

All my binds were accounted for today and I'm feeling strong.

After Setu Bandhasana, I turned off my iPod and opened my David Swenson book to page 130: Intermediate Series, Pasasana and entered a brave new world of conflicting details.

For example, which side of Pasasana is first? Right or left? Swenson and Maehle have different answers. Is the extended leg in Krounchasana slightly bent in order to bring the chin closer to the shin or is it straight? Are the legs together or hip-distance-apart in Shalabasana and Dhanurasana?

For today, I followed Swenson’s direction, but I’m going to read through the first five Intermediate poses in the Maehle book tonight. Then I’ll use my own judgement and intuition as to how I want to shape my practice of Intermediate.

After being so resistant to this series, I was genuinely surprised to find that I really enjoyed the poses. It’s fun to do something different. None of these poses are ‘new’ to me - I’ve done them all in the context of my Hatha practice, but I was intrigued by how they fit together and the transitions between them.

Surprise! I can bind to tippy-fingers in Pasasana! My heels are not on the floor. I used a book under my heels. Each week, I’ll choose a slightly smaller book until my heels are on the floor.

And, no surprise! I have VERY little flexibility in my back, especially my upper back and this became starkly obvious in Shalabasana A and B as well as Dhanurasana. I didn’t do any additional ‘prep’ poses for backbending today. I found that my hips (psoas) were very tight in the first Urdhva Dhanurasana.

After the practice, I felt very heavy, then the feeling faded and I felt GREAT! For a few hours after, I was literally floating around and full of energy.

But as I was coming home from the grocery store, I suddenly ‘crashed’: I felt exhausted and spent, I had some kind of ‘hot flash’ (I'm not old enough for the real thing) and was soaked in sweat by the time I walked through my front door. I rested for a bit and ate lunch. I feel fine now, but I was very shaky for about a half-hour.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

In the elevator, one of my neighbours observed that Princess Fur looks a bit like she’s headed to a fetish club when she’s wearing her MutLuks and harness (and the coat isn't yet on).

So here she is, in her all kinky glory:

I love the way she's 'posing' and the pissed-off expression on her face. I don't wanna know what's in the 'thought balloon' over her little head!

On a related note: I can’t wait to see what kind of searches this post triggers!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Loving the MutLuks, so cute!