Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Astanga

Here we go, it was bound to happen sometime this month: I had an absolutely wretched practice for no reason at all. It just was. Can’t blame my Lady’s, can’t blame the weather, can’t blame my emotional state.

How bad? Well, I was distracted throughout, gave up on working my jump-backs because I wasn’t in the mood to work that hard and I was modifying poses all over the place. My hamstrings were stiff, my hips hurt (this is probably due to my Monday night ice hockey game) and my breath felt shallow.

Backbends were too much to endure. I did one and skip the others. I didn’t do the closing sequence at all because my SI joints and low back were feeling creaky.

I took 3 minutes of Savasana and put it behind me.

So, we’ve established that the highlight of my day was not yoga. The highlight of my day was Avatar. Yeah, yeah, some of you have been telling me to go see this movie. “Go see it NOW!” you’ve clamoured. “It’s important, it’s wonderful.” One wise soul offered this advice: Watch in IMAX 3D.

I was rolling my eyes a bit, but I’m SO glad I listened.

Avatar is, without question, the MOST STUNNING film I have ever seen. I’m not a movie person. I’m not even much of a science fiction person. This film transcended every genre, blew apart my highest expectations and left me literally speechless.

I have an incredibly short attention span for movies and yet I sat there, absolutely RIVETED for 3 hours. I couldn’t move. My bladder is the size of a thimble and I didn’t even get up to pee. And when I got home, I was oddly disoriented, the same way I am after returning home from overseas travel. I’m still a bit speechless about the whole experience.

I don’t know what to say about this movie that will convey how powerful and wonderful it is. The ordinary moments were so beautiful that I found myself weeping. The heartbreaking moments were so poignant, I realised that I was gripping the armrests and straining forward in my seat. The story is simply told, but the message is profound. I want to see it again.

No spoilers here. Just go see it. PLEASE. And if you can, see it in 3D. Even better, see it in IMAX 3D.

2 comments:

Arturo said...

hi Kai
sorry i have not responded from the peanut gallery to your questions. i have been a bit self involved this week with overwork and preparations.

about the movie, i told my language coach that we should go see it together at the Imax or 3D as a celebration when something i'm waiting for occurs. more on that later...

hugs
Arturo

Kaivalya said...

@Arturo
Let me know what you think of it when you see it. It's like 'virtual reality' in IMAX 3D. As an Astangi, you'll like the flow and physical grace of some of the characters in the film.