Saturday, January 9, 2010

Astanga

My body is anti-backbend this week, so I have no State-of-the-Backbend photo to offer you today. I’m not sure what’s going on, but even pushing up into Urdhva Dhanurasana is so uncomfortable, I just can’t motivate myself. I do it once, then roll into child’s pose.

I probably spend too much time happily slumped over my computer or curled up in the window seat, reading. I’m thinking I could benefit from some quality time laying over blocks and/or a bolster in a supine backbend. I’ll put that on my list for next week.

Today, I’m giving the apartment a good scrubdown. I just finished the kitchen, even cleaned out the fridge. The bathroom is next. Now that everything is organised, I’m seeing all kinds of improvements I could make to this space: a new futon cover, storage baskets for the wall unit, rearranging stuff on the walls.

A couple years ago, I was determined to move out of this building, but recently I’ve come to a sudden peace with my status as a perpetual renter (and I’ve learned to ignore the creepy superintendent). Apartment hunting in this city is a reality check. And here’s the reality: I live in a cheap apartment in one of the best neighbourhoods in the city.

And I actually don’t mind living in a small space - I like it. It keeps the material accumulation under control. I find that I ‘expand’ to fit the space I’m in. No expansion here!

I slept in again this morning, so I only had an hour to practice the Primary Series. I didn’t have time for the closing poses at all, so I just did Savasana. I added them later on, before teaching my noon class. Tomorrow, I plan to be up early and I’ll have time for a more leisurely practice. I’m looking forward to it!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I agree with your insight about keeping the clutter under control. I live in a huge 4 level split with a double attached garage and my husband does not like to get rid of things. My January word is PURGE. He may not be impressed but he will get over it.

Kaivalya said...

@Michelle
Awesome! Keep me updated on your progress. You're in good company - Skippetty is also doing a January Purge. Maybe we should start a Ning group: WoStuPuMo (World Stuff Purge Month?). ;-)