Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Vinyasa

The moon looked pretty full last night! People were acting weird around the city. Weirdness in the subway, weirdness on the street, weirdness in my classes. And, predictably, the little kids in my afternoon class were bat-shit-crazy-NUTS. I decided to go along with it and came up with a CRAZY yoga class for them.

First, we ran around in circles screaming our heads off as we personified the Gunas. Screaming and running represented 'Rajas', falling dramatically to the floor in (fake; believe me, for the, it was fake) exhaustion was 'Tamas' and skipping around happily with goofy grins portrayed 'Sattva'.

Then we played this game where they ran around pell-mell until I shouted the name of a pose. As soon as every child was in that pose, I yelled RUN! And they did, until I called the next pose. This developed into a game of tag, where I couldn't shout the name of the next pose until I had personally 'tagged' every single child.

As we ran around, one little boy shouted with joy: "This is the best yoga EVER!" A future Ashtangi for sure!! :-D

By the end of the class, we were ALL exhausted.

My plan last night was to go to sleep early, as soon as I got back from my evening class. That didn't happen. I couldn't sleep because my next door neighbour decided to have a party. I live in an apartment building with *thick* walls so if I can hear noise through them, it's something seriously loud. There was this one woman who's voice was SO loud and piercing the I could hear EVERY word she was saying.

They sang the 'Happy Birthday' song half a dozen times, louder each time. Finally, the only thing that could drown them out (I didn't have any earplugs) was my noise reduction headphones coupled with brown noise on the iPod. I fell asleep but I think my sleep must have been affected because I've been tired all day. I laid down for a few minutes before lunch and I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

Practice this morning was easy and mercifully short. I did a YogaDownload class, Hip Opening Flow #2 with Lisa, 45 minutes. I know I've said before, I really like this particular sequence. Today, I noticed how much I like the music and that's not always true of the YogaDownload classes.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by how quickly this day is speeding by and how little I've really accomplished. I'm also floored by the arrival of December (Seriously, is this year really approaching an end *already*?). I can't believe my pre-reg classes are ending.

On the bright side, this will give me some much-needed downtime going into the New Year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the best yoga ever!!! Isn't it amazing that you are bringing these children so much joy?

One of the things I love about December is that you can look back on what you've accomplished and also look forward to the clean slate.

I love reading about Princess Fur.

Skippetty said...

I love reading about Princess Fur too! ...and I especially love the term "bat shit crazy"... it makes me laugh coz it's so random but funny at the same time. Hehe.