Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Astanga

My hockey team won, 4-2 last night, but I wasn't there to see it. It was a late game, a cold and rainy night and I was already tired. When games run past my bedtime, it's hard to motivate myself. This morning I got the update from my defence partner, E. They had full lines despite the late start. I'm glad this team is doing well because it means we'll get one of the 'early slots' for the finals at the end of the month.

I turned on the soundtrack from Slumdog Millionaire this morning and did a self-led Astanga practice, the short form of the Primary Series. Very fun. I loafed around in the poses I particularly liked, took breaks to drink tea, cooed over my dog and enjoyed a long Savasana.

The rest of the day has been a perfect combination of feeling lazy, while still being fairly productive. I did some cleaning, finished the laundry, bought groceries.

The beginning of November marks the start of Subway Pass Season. Bruce, the folding bike, is now sitting forlornly in a corner, headed soon to storage. Using my shiny new pass, I hopped on a train after my noon class and headed up to my favourite grocery store. No more hauling groceries around on the handle bars of my bicycle, or stopping at any old store I pass on my ride home.

I know that by the end of the winter, I'll be dying to get back on my bike, I'll miss the delicious freedom of my wheels. But for now, I'm delighted that I can sit around on my commute and read, read, read. I can listen to music, or knit. Or daydream. (or try to ignore the crazy person moaning in the corner, but let's not go there...)

For now, I'm a happy transit rider.

No comments: