Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hatha

I tried to sleep in this morning, managed to hang in all the way till 7 a.m. It's freaky how quickly I've adjusted to an early schedule. Getting up at 7 felt decadent. No yoga when I woke up - just tea.

We had a rough plan sketched out for the day. Each year on Pride Sunday, there's a really lovely multi-faith service on one of the stages. I attended last year and was very moved, so we decided to go that, then play it by ear (maybe not the parade, but definitely hanging out and listening to some music). We went to the café for brunch and I was half-way through my banana pancakes when the skies opened up.

Downpour!

It rained off and on the rest of the day. I ended up going home and napping. I slept deeply; I was just exhausted. I guess the lack of sleep along with my cold finally caught up with me - it was for the best.

I just finished a half-hour Hatha practice, a 'stress relief' sequence I used to do daily years ago. It felt comfortable and safe, like visiting an old friend. I don't use props in my Astanga practice, but tonight I used a wood block to make the poses less about effort and more about ease. I completely relaxed into the forward folds, resting my head on the block, used the block for a supported bridge pose. It was exactly what I needed.

No comments: