Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Astanga

Posted on the AYS weblog at around 7:30 p.m. tonight:

“We are sad to announce that Guruji has been admitted to the ICU. Sharath must return to Mysore immediately to be with his family during this critical time.

Unfortunately, all north american workshops will be cancelled. Full refunds will be given.

Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time.”

Sharath was in the midst of leading a workshop in San Francisco. A certified teacher is now finishing those last few days.

I wasn't planning to attend for the entire duration of his visit to my city, but hoped to go to at least one led primary while Sharath was here. I had been living vicariously through the blogs of the New York peeps who attended his sessions last month. I was a bit nervous, but very excited. This upcoming workshop was one of the things that inspired me to jump back into my full Astanga practice (I wanted to be more prepared). So I'm disappointed, but more saddened about the circumstances.

The news comes as a shock (although I've heard that Guruji has been ill off and on for the past several months). I'm filled with compassion for the family of Sri Pattabhi Jois and I hope he recovers. The KPJAYI website has scant additional information. I posted to the Ashtanga EZ Board in hopes of hearing more from practitioners who are currently practising in Mysore, India.

I'm keeping good thoughts for Guruji and his family.

I had a perfectly ordinary mid-morning practice today. No neck problems at all! In fact, I spontaneously decided to add Setu Bandhasana to my practice (I had been doing a supine chest-opener during that pose to prepare for Urdhva Dhanurasana afterward). Easy peasy...what a surprise! I always struggled with that pose. It felt too weird, like I would collapse onto my neck. Today, it felt stable and strong. I enjoyed the pose. I guess I'll be doing this one from now on.

No comments: