Friday, February 6, 2009

Vinyasa

Aw, it feels good to be through another week and onto the weekend.

I had a relaxed mid-morning practice today. I did five Surya A's and one Surya B, then a series of standing poses and standing balances. This sequence is from a class I taught a few weeks ago that I just love. I think Ardha Chandrasana might be my favourite pose ever. The more I do it, the more I love it.

I've been using an online metronome to practice my drum and guitar this week. On a whim, I turned the metronome on during my yoga practice today, set at 60 beats a minute. I held each of my standing poses for 20 seconds exactly. The was particularly fun and challenging for the balances and kept my mind focused. I could increase the holds very easily with this method and build strength.

I finished up with some backbends (Urdhva Dhanurasana and Ustrasana), Splits preparation (Eka Pada Raj Kapotanasana and Hanumasana) and forward bends. I didn't think I would feel like backbends today, given that I taught them all week long, but my back felt good and I flowed right into them. I held Urdhva Dhanurasana for 30 seconds of the metronome.

I'm headed to the house this weekend and I have a goal: I would like to get up early in the morning before the household wakes and do a full yoga practice. It would be wonderful not to stress about fitting my practice into the day. I'm bringing my alarm clock. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Great idea with the metronome! I usually count breaths but the harder the pose the quicker my breaths tend to be.
Have a great weekend with your pal.