Saturday, January 31, 2009

Vinyasa

Well, sort of the finale - since I actually plan to do this for the rest of the year, it's just a start. I capped off WoYoPracMo (Day 31!) today with a light yoga practice, the little sequence I do when I'm pressed for time.

Today was busy - we spent the morning doing chores around the house, the afternoon brunching with friends and running errands (I'm a bag addict, I bought a new knapsack. I'm stupidly excited about this).

By the time we got home and had supper, I was wiped. I selected one of the many yoga mats that cover the floors of the house. I did 3 Surya Namakara A's, 1 Surya Namaskara B, Utthita Trikonasana, Parsvakonasana, Virabhadrasana I and Virabhadrasana II, then some seated forward bends. This abbreviated yoga practice takes about 15 minutes and covers all the bases.

My experience of WoYoPracMo was much different this year from last. Last year, I was in the midst of doing 365 days of Astanga yoga, so I was very focused on that practice. I did the full Primary Series every day in January and it was a considerable challenge. Last year was all about Tapas, Tapas and focus.

This year was more about fitting the practice into my life in a sustainable way, changing my routine to fit different circumstances. When I'm feeling unwell, I do restorative yoga, when I'm overflowing with energy, I do an Astanga practice. If I'm busy, I do what I can.

Last year, I was genuinely relieved when WoYoPracMo ended. I felt like I needed a break from the intensity. This time around, I feel comfortable with having a yoga-shaped-hole in my day, no matter how large or small. The practice is as much a part of my life as brushing my teeth. I find ways to fit it in, even when I don't feel like I have 'extra time'.

I plan to practice yoga (at least 10-15 minutes, but often longer) every day in Feburary. I'm taking this one month at a time!

1 comment:

Yogamum said...

It's so interesting how your experiences have differed from last year to this year. So wonderful that you've found a way to fit it in, no matter what.