Friday, January 23, 2009

Iyengar

WoYoPracMo, Day 23.

I decided to finish up the 'Yoga for Flexibility' video today. The second practice on the tape is 30 minutes of forward bends. The first part of the practice is vinyasa. I tried not to get too excited about this because, after all, it's Iyengar and vinyasa probably meant long holds. Well, I was wrong. The vinyasa portion of the practice was a joy. No pose was held for more than a couple breaths. The vinyasa even repeated which gave me a chance to flow more smoothly through it, once familiar with the sequence.

The forward bends were typical: Janu Sirsasana, Paschimottanasana, Krounchasana and Supta Padangustasana. Still, that's a lot of forward bending with the long holds and nothing else on the menu. I wish I was more warmed up to really benefit from the hamstring lengthening (the vinyasa just didn't do it for me in terms of a warm up). Maybe a few sun salutations and standing poses would have lit my fires a bit more.

No comments: