Saturday, August 9, 2008

Day 309

I was a bad Ashtangi yesterday and skipped my practice. I was out late the night before attending a film festival in a nearby city with my girlfriend. It was lots of fun (the reception was fabulous - two words: sushi. buffet). Since I didn't get to sleep until after 1, I ended up with less than four hours of sleep.

I numbly stumbled through my day and fell into a deep, dreamful sleep on the shuttle ride home. Then I slept some more on the subway. Then some more at home, nearly sleeping through our 8:30 dinner reservation at Bangkok Garden, a poncy Thai place downtown. A friend from San Francisco was in town visiting and we had a fun night.

The food was absolutely spectacular! We ordered a variety of appetizers and entrees. The vegetable soup was just mediocre, but everything else was fresh, flavourful and decadent. Eggplant stirfry, red thai curry, tradional pad thai and a wonderful tofu dish. There was coconut ice cream for dessert and to decadent to the decadence, we went to a cafe in my neighbourhood for tea and chocolate mousse cake. A CR night, it was not. But it was lovely!

True confession: I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm technically a pescatarian these days; I take cod liver oil as a supplement and occasionally eat fish and seafood. I've gradually started adding more fish to my diet - often putting wild-caught smoked salmon in my maki rolls. But I adore scallops and last night, I ate them for the first time in 17 years. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Practice this morning was heavy. I practised at the gym, after teaching a class. I did the short form because my shoulder is bothering me again. And also because my life feels too full these days. I'm struggling not to react with stress to all of the various demands being placed on me by the new roles in my life.

I'm absolutely not complaining, though. Life is good!

No comments: