Thursday, April 3, 2008

Day 225

Today's practice might best be filed under 'A-work-in-progress'.

I didn't sleep well last night. Yesterday was physically taxing and I taught classes into the early evening. As often happens when I teach late, I was wired and agitated when I got home afterward. I wasn't sleepy. I didn't go to bed until after midnight, then slept restlessly. Wake-up call for my volunteer shift at the soup kitchen is 5 a.m. and it was a bit painful.

After returning from the soup kitchen (yawning), I walked the dog and sluggishly started to do my practice. I felt like I was moving within a vat of jello. I managed to get through the sun salutations and standing poses before I ran out of steam. In the middle of Janu Sirsasana C I realised I just couldn't go on. I literally didn't have it in me to do the rest of the series. It's arguable whether this was mental or physical resistance, but I'm pretty sure it was a bit of both. I chose surrender - got up, slid the mat aside and made my lunch. I ate and then I collapsed onto the futon and slept like the dead for two hours.

I was so tired.

I woke up groggy. I had errands to run, including the grocery shopping. The rain stopped and I managed to take the dog out for a walk. By this time, I was feeling better.

Five hours after I originally started my yoga practice, I finally slid the mat back to the middle of the room, sat down and continued at Marichyasana A as if I'd never stopped. And yes, I finally finished.

Sometimes, all you can do is your best. And keep trying, trying, trying.

Tomorrow is Moon Day and Saturday is my day off. I plan to rest and read tomorrow (and teach). The entire weekend is forecast to be gorgeously beautiful, with warm temperatures and sunshine. I'm sure I'll find some way to make the most of this boon!

I'll be back on Sunday.

No comments: