Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Day 223

I briefly thought of pulling an April Fools gag today, but I can't think of one. I know very well that if I claimed to have taken a last-minute trip to India or grabbed my ankles in Urdhva Dhanurasana, you guys would totally be on to me. Instead, I present you with this list of successful April Fools hoaxes. I wish I could be half as clever!

I played a good ice hockey game last night. During the game, I consciously tried to slow myself down, particularly when I was handling the puck. A fellow player suggested that I use the 'three second rule' - when I received the puck, counting to three before I cleared or passed it. Three seconds is usually enough time to make a good passing decision without losing the puck to an opposing player.

This reminded me of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh's suggestion to 'slow down, smile, and breath'. I tried to do this too. It may seem counter-intuitive in a game like ice hockey, but I genuinely enjoy the game and smiling seems to have a relaxing effect, clears my head and reminds me that I'm there to have fun - not act out anger or self-judge.

It was helpful. The game seemed very smooth and easy. I had two very nice shots on net and one assist. I played an effective defence and I was passing to another player about half of the times I cleared the puck from our zone. Ahhh, the yoga of hockey... ;-)

I was particularly tired this morning and since my morning class cancelled and I'm still fighting this cold, I opted for some extra sleep. I woke at 7:30 and launched into my regular routine, except I haven't yet gone for my walk. I'll do that after lunch when the sun comes out...

I teach just one class today. Tomorrow, my full schedule kicks back in. I'm teaching five classes tomorrow, two on Thursday, another couple on Friday and my regular Saturday. I'm looking forward to this busier schedule - ironically, I always seem to be more productive when I have less time.

No comments: