Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Day 217

I usually don't blog about my night time dreaming because, quite frankly, I find it boring as hell when other bloggers do it and why would I want to inflict that on anyone else?

But this one is too good not to share. I promise not to go into exhausting detail, okay?

First, some background information. I don't have family in Canada. My family lives mostly in the States, mostly in California, and they mostly think I'm nuts for living up here, but I digress...

I do, however, have people who are 'like family' living in Canada. They are the extended family of a former partner who I still keep in close touch with. The siblings in this family have managed to produce a huge brood of children, every single one of them girls. It's like the ultimate Girl Posse. I love visiting. I'm the fun, cool Auntie who comes from the city and they adore me. All the fun of family with none of the baggage? Priceless!

Anyway...

In the dream, I was going out to Brampton to visit them. It was evening and I could see that they were home because the lights were on and the little girls were crowded up to the window, all inexplicably dressed in grey t-shirts with their names silk-screened in yellow (Okay, I know you didn't need to know that little detail - BORING - but I'm setting the scene here...). One of them shouted “It's Auntie -----” and as I waited at the door, I heard the oldest girl say sternly “Don't let her in! She's supposed to be doing her YOGA PRACTICE.”

Huh? Who, me? Oh yeah...well.

Okay, fine.

The alarm went off I got out of bed and got on with it. I was propelled to the mat by my dream-guilt.

It was not easy getting up in the wee hours this morning because I had a late hockey game and didn't get home until almost 11. To add insult to injury, I played a horrible game. Plenty of reason to feel sorry for myself, but no, I didn't give in to my self pity! I got up! I practised, meditated, ate breakfast and even went for long walk.

Practice was typical of the early morning: a bit stiff, no balance to speak of, a tiny bit distracted but I stayed focused for the most part.

Still working on keeping a consistent Ujjayi breath. This is much harder than it should be. I've noticed that when I manage it, my practice goes really well, so it's worth the effort. I think it's a matter of building the habit/pattern of Ujjayi into my practice and I've just been lazy about it.

I opened this entry with a boring description of a dream, so I'll close it in another, boring, clichéd, fashion: complaining about the weather, which we do SO well here in Canada.

It's -5 and another, yes ANOTHER, snow storm is moving in: 5 centimetres of snow is forecast. Go ahead, you California people, laugh at me. I deserve it for moving up here.

*sniff*

No comments: