Monday, February 25, 2008

Day 197

State of the Backbend Report...

October:
October Backbend


February:

February Backbend

I can't believe this is my backbend! In all the months I've been working on Urdhva Dhanurasana, this is the greatest progress I've seen. Behold: my back is actually *bending*. Seriously people, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

I slept in a bit this morning, looked at the weather forecast and decided to maximise the time I spent in sunlight, in an effort to ease my seasonal malaise. I ate breakfast, walked the dog for an hour in the sunny park, skated on the sunny ice rink, ran errands in my sunny neighbourhood, ate lunch in the sunbeam coming through my window. I didn't get around to practising until the afternoon.

I love afternoon practice because my body is so open - and I was today. My hamstrings were especially so; I was loving the forward bends. With no time crunch, I had a lazy, easy-going practice. While I lacked the energy and momentum that I usually have in the morning, I made up for that in the depth I was able to take the poses. It was very nice.

First handstand was amazing: I amazed myself by floating up, a la Ana. The second one was all grunting and effort and a body slam - a la Chewbaka. Win some, lose some. I used a slightly different technique in the two handstands.

I'm almost embarrassed to share this, but in the interest of the greater good, I will: it's cookies. If I *think* about cookies while I hop up into the handstand, then I don't think about the fact that I'm hopping up into a handstand, so I don't freak out. I love cookies. Cookies make me happy and apparently, being happy about cookies somehow engages my bandhas.

I don't know why it works, but it works. I'm sure this has some genuine practical applications for my day-to-day life. I'm thinking about this very carefully, believe me.

Musical Sirsasana was 'Miss Punta Blanca' by Jane Siberry (going with CanCon this week - stay tuned).

3 comments:

Yogamum said...

What kind of cookies? And do you eat some after your handstands? I need to know your methodology so I can try it ;-)

Your backbend looks great. So much more open in the shoulders & upper back.

Mary said...

Hey, that's unreal! Seriously, I can not even get into wheel yet and you're a real inspiration. And cookies? LOL - too cute. I need to see if this kind of thinking helps me :-)

Kaivalya said...

These days, I'm on to oatmeal cookies - my gram's family recipe. I've been having one cookie with my afternoon coffee, but alas, no cookies after practice. :-) I think it's the thought of the cookies which distracts me.

Thanks for the comments about my backbend. Yes, I think my shoulders are definitely more open now - that's how if feels to me, at any rate.