Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Day 194

I'm starting to wonder if my body is fighting a bug. I had the flu shot in the Fall, but it's not uncommon for mild flu symptoms to manifest when a flu is going around. I went to bed early last night and my body soaked up that extra hour of sleep like a sponge. I just don't feel like myself. I do feel a bit more alert this morning, though.

Tomorrow's Moon Day will be a welcome break - I won't need to get up insanely early to practice before going to the soup kitchen to work my shift. I can sleep in a bit. I'm hoping to get a full 8 hours of sleep.

This morning, I started out my yoga practice strong, but by the end, I was really losing steam. But I kept going. Handstands were okay - not great. I had a mini-meltdown before handstand #2 - laid in child's pose feeling Very Sorry For Myself for about three minutes, then nailed it. Bad Brain (because I *am* aware that this is not a physical problem, it's an 'overthinking' problem).

And I had a good Garba Pindasana. This pose has been pretty good lately, actually. A few weeks ago, I broke my faithful old spray bottle - the one I bought at a Target in Boulder, Colorado in 1989 (during university). I replaced it with a 50 cent travel-size bottle from Honest Ed's. Works great! There have obviously been improvements in spray bottle technology since the 1980s. ;-) I don't know if it's the high tech 'light mist' that's doing it the trick (or simple practice, perhaps?), but GB is easier these days and I don't get those little 'GB bruises' on my left arm anymore.

We have some 'Breaking News' here in my city:
Queen Street smelled like a barbeque this morning as I exited the subway station on my way to the ice rink. Zamboni Guy told me that when he arrived at 6:30 a.m., the smoke was so thick that it left his throat choked up. There's a six-alarm fire at Queen and Bathurst. Half a block is burning down to rubble and that part of the city has been evacuated for fear of explosions.

As I skated around in circles, I closed my eyes and said a small prayer for the firefighters battling the blaze. Namaste.

No comments: