Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day 189

Heart Cookies

I had another afternoon practice today because I couldn't manage to get myself out of bed early in the morning. This time, it was my dog's fault. Last night, she woke me up at 11 p.m. to go outside and I just couldn't get back to sleep. I tried everything: warm milk, a cookie, deep breathing, reading, etc. I finally fell asleep after 1 a.m., but this made the Thursday morning wake-up call impossible to heed. I slept in and barely managed to wake in time to make it to the soup kitchen - late.

Afternoon practice was fun! I wasn't taking myself all too seriously because I was baking cookies at the same time. I prepared the dough then did the sun salutations and standing poses while it chilled in the fridge. Then, still clad in my yoga duds, I rolled out the dough and used my heart-shaped cookie cutter to make perfect hearts and started baking them. I finished cutting the cookies and started frosting the ones that were cool enough. The whole process took an hour-and-a-half and it was so fun! When I finished with the cookies, I went back to my practice.

The cookies are for my students - I have two classes tonight, three tomorrow and another on Saturday. That didn't stop me from 'sampling' two of them and they are very good! The recipe came from Average Betty. Thanks, Betty!

Yoga was okay. For some reason, I had this big head trip in handstand and hopped endlessly before I could get my hips over my shoulders. When I did, I sort of body-slammed the wall and this sound came out of my throat that sounded like a lot like Chewbaka. I did this both times I tried handstand. But Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana was absolutely fantastic. When this pose is going well for me, I absolutely love it!

Musical Sirsasana was 'Neon Bible' by the Arcade Fire - an easy-going 2 minutes, 17 seconds.

Valentines Day is what it is. Not a fun day to be single, but I'm living a full life, so no complaints!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imagine my sheer glee and surprise when I came across your post! I would love to publish your photo on my website when I update this weekend. Your cookies look gorgeous!

Thank you for trying my recipe :)

Kaivalya said...

Average Betty: Thanks so much for stopping by! Those cookies got rave reviews from everyone who tried them. I'd love to say that it was the yoga, but I suspect it was just a terrific recipe. ;-) Cheers!