Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day 165

I live in an incredibly small city apartment that I've set up to function as a yoga space. My futon folds up, the coffee table goes on top of it and I move my zabuton/zafu on top of the coffee table. This clears enough space for my practice and enough that I could teach one student if I wanted to.

Then I sweep the floors, starting in the kitchen and moving toward the entryway. I also go over the floors with a Swiffer duster. It's very dusty in this building and I like my space to be clean when I practice. The sweeping takes less than 10 minutes.

When I get dressed and start my practice, it's usually at 5:30 a.m. on the dot.

If you haven't figured this out already, I'm a creature of routine. If I can establish a daily routine, I'll faithfully follow it like a good little lemming. A few times this month, I've been congratulated on my 'discipline' and asked how I come by it. It's really not heroic or difficult. I'm just following a script: get up, make the bed, sweep, practice. The routine has a tenacious momentum that carries me from practice to practice, day to day.

Seriously, it's the only way I'm able to survive my Wednesday/Thursday teaching schedule. These days are *brutal*.

So anyway, I was on the mat practising at 5:30 a.m. this morning. Full Primary Series. I'm binding again in Mari C & D, but not to wrist, just fingers. The twist feels funky, but I'm dealing with it. My digestive upset is still bugging me but I know what that's all about now, and it should subside in a few days.

My back was cranky this morning and backbends were difficult for the first time in days. This time, I could feel the difference. In Urdhva Mukha Svanasana, I could actually sense that my back was not as 'bendy' as usual.

Headstand has been feeling really good and stable lately, so I've been having some fun with it. I've been lifting my head off the floor for five breaths, supporting the pose with my arm/shoulder strength. Half-bend has been getting easier, so today I played with that too. As I came out of the pose, I held it 3/4 of the way down and even hovered my toes an inch or so off the floor before light touching down. Fun!

No comments: