Saturday, January 5, 2008

Day 154

I tried a little experiment this morning. Rather than jump right into my practice after I woke up, I did a few tasks around the apartment for an hour. Nothing too strenuous - tidied up the kitchen and put dishes away, swept the floors, made the bed, got everything ready for the class I would be teaching later in the morning. I even took the dog out.

Alas, this little warm-up did nothing for me. My body was still stiff and unrelenting as I practised. Oh well, it was worth a try. It did buy me some time later on, so I was able to enjoy a leisurely brekkie and tea before dashing off to teach. This alone is worth the effort it takes to get up for an early morning practice.

So, it's Saturday! And yet I did the full Primary Series because that's the goal I've set for myself. I had a good practice right up to Baddha Konasana, then I felt really, really tired. But I persevered.

I've come to a decision regarding Marichyasana C. I'm going to stop trying to bind to the wrist because it effects the integrity of the pose, breaks my momentum (because it's so hard to grab those wrists) and causes me to breath really shallowly. Obviously, I'm not ready for it, so I'm going to back off and try to find the ease in the pose, with faith that it will come along when it's ready.

This has made a huge difference for me: I don't dread Mari C anymore. I still dread Urdhva Dhanurasana, but that's kinda par for the course, right? ;-)

No comments: