Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Day 145

Boxing Day! I did, in fact, go shopping. I stopped by Eaton Centre at 8 a.m., on my way to the ice rink. I needed some new shirts and I desperately needed a new pair of jeans (my old ones no longer fit). An extra bit of Christmas money helped pay for my purchases and everything was on sale. I'm delighted with my new duds!

I feel deeply blessed with all I've been given this Christmas. This holiday truly surprised me. I had very low expectations. I thought I would be on my own yesterday. In fact, I was surrounded by friends the entire day. It was all wonderful and unexpected and precious.

Today, my practice was very deep and focused. Recently (since the upper respiratory infection), I've had trouble connecting with my breath - but I had no problem with that today. This close connection with my breath allowed me to observe which poses I have particular trouble breathing deeply in. Marichyasana C is one of them. And, of course, Urdhva Dhanurasana is another. I don't understand why I feel so tight and blocked in backbends. I really struggled with this today.

Interestingly, I find that when I'm connecting with my breath and practising Ujjayi breathing, my practice unfolds very smoothly without too much interruption; each pose flows into the next. I finished in 75 minutes, which may be a record for me.

After my practice, as I went on with my day, I felt like everything I did was just a continuation of this flow. The momentum of my practice propelled me forward: showering, tidying the apartment, running an errand, doing some reading, heading to the soup kitchen in the late afternoon...one activity flowed into the next.

I felt very aware, very focused, very present for the remainder of the day.

No comments: