Saturday, December 22, 2007

Day 142

All these holiday parties are killing me.

I went to a Solstice party last night. Compared to last year, I was relatively restrained (I didn't drink at all, actually) but I was still out until almost 1:30 and I woke up this morning feeling absolutely rotten (makes me wonder how much of the typical hangover is the alcohol and how much is plain old exhaustion). And, of course, there's all of that heavy, fatty food that I'm not used to eating. I tried to stick to the veggie platter but I'm a sucker for hot artichoke asiago dip (and my own Fabulous Butter Cookies).

I taught a yoga class this morning, then debated with myself all the way home: 'I'm tired. I'm feeling crummy. Do I practice? Do I take a nap? The grocery shopping needs to be done...' As I ascended the steps of the subway station, this thought occurred to me: 'When I'm feeling crummy, practice always makes me feel better.' I made my decision. I unrolled the mat and got on with it.

Full Primary Series took me just over an hour and twenty minutes. I was focused and steady throughout, though I found my mind wandering a lot in the seated poses. It was a good practice. In retrospect, I realise I really needed it.

Today's news: I finally got the wrist bind on the left side in Janu Sirsasana C. I'm now working on the wrist bind on the right side of Marichyasana D. Baby steps, but steps all the same.

For the next two weeks, I'm on holiday, though teaching a few scattered yoga classes. I'm looking forward to relaxing, spending time with friends, skating, doing a lot of reading and focusing deeply on my yoga practice (without needing to rush off anyplace). I'll be working an extra shift at the soup kitchen because they're short staffed this time of year.

Tomorrow is my day off and Monday is a Moonday, but I'll be back to my usual shenanigans on Tuesday.

I wish a Happy Christmas/holidays/whatever-you-celebrate to my three readers.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Happy Holidays to you too Kaivalya. Hope you have a nice break on your time off.