Friday, November 30, 2007

Day 125

Strong

I slept for 5 hours last night. Normally, this would be cause for concern, but under the current circumstances, I was ecstatic to get that much sleep. It was a small victory for codeine cough syrup. Alas, it was short-lived - I was up early, because I'm always up early. So I went for my morning skate at the ice rink, then came home to practice.

And, then, Surprise! In the midst of a lingering cold and massive sleep deprivation, I had one of my best practices in a long, long time. Everything felt open, everything flowed. I felt strong, steady and focused. Walking around the apartment beforehand, I felt heavy and weak and woozy, but in the context of practice, I felt light and strong.

I did the full primary and it took me an hour and 45 minutes. I took my time, loafed around in postures, repeated a few, did some handstand.

I came *this* close to binding in Supta Kurmasana! I haven't done that pose in over a week because I was working with the short form of the Primary Series. I was very surprised with my mysterious progress, but I'm not complaining.

I worked on dropbacks (into Urdhva Dhanurasana) against the wall. I successfully walked my hands down the wall three times. I think I'm getting better at this.

Here's something weird: I found that lightly resting my thumbs against my sternum in Namaste helped me feel safer and more stable as I dropped back. I have no idea why, but there was definitely a difference.

It's the little things. The funny little things...

No comments: