Thursday, November 29, 2007

Day 124

I'm having a problem, a sleep problem.

My voice is back (after a bout with laryngitis last week), the bronchitis is mostly gone, I still have a bit of an head cold, but that's fading. But the cough lingers. It's a dry cough, a unhappy-bronchial-tubes cough. It occasionally accost me when I'm trying to teach, but mostly it emerges after sunset.

Every time I go to sleep, the cough wakes me up. I probably got five hours sleep the night before last, so I went back to bed and slept all day. Last night, I got no more than three. Sleeping all day wasn't an option and I didn't feel like doing that anyway. I skated for two hours then came home to do yoga.

I didn't know that I could actually fall asleep in a forward bend, but it appears that many things are possible. ;-)

I cut my practice short, but did manage to make it to Navasana, at least.

I was particularly keen to do the Marichyasanas, because I've been having some breakthroughs with these poses:

- I'm binding to the wrist again in Marichyasana B (this one went away - I could only bind to fingers - but now it's come back)
- I'm now binding to the wrist and feeling really GOOD in Marichyasana C. This is new - and huge for me. I've gone from hating this posture to really enjoying it.
- and...drumroll please....I'm binding with fingers in Marichyasana D. On BOTH sides. I was able to do this a few months ago on one side, but it was a huge complicated operation, which involved wiggling and tugging at my arm and twisting around and then it just hurt. Now it doesn't hurt. Now I just need to get that knee down.

I think a lot of this progress can be attributed to my newly wide open hips. I haven't been riding my bike over the past few weeks and won't be for the rest of the winter. My knees now comfortably rest on the floor in Baddha Konasana.

I think it also has to do with the fact that I've shed some additional poundage over the past month or so. My black corduroy pants are fitting me nicely again. I think my FUPA has shrunk, giving me some additional leeway to twist.

So it was a good practice today, if a little bit sleepy.

No comments: