Friday, October 5, 2007

Day 89

Backbends, backbends, backbends, oh why do you vex me so?

I stopped doing Urdhva Danurasana for the entire month of August, using my tight morning schedule (that's when I was working the contract) to justify the omission. Oh, the tangled webs we weave for ourselves! By the end of the month, I really couldn't do Urdhva Danurasana properly. I continued to be lackadaisical about backbends in September, so resolved that October would be the Month of Backbends. Or, Urdhva Danurasana, at least.

I'll never be Gumby, but at least I'm doing them and holding them for five breaths. I took this photo to gauge where I'm at with Urdhva Danurasana. Not bad. Next time, maybe I can channel David Swenson! ;-)

Urdhva Dhanurasana

Practice today was good, solid and very, very sweaty (the humidex is 27C here. Hello...Where's Fall?). My fabulous work ethic on the mat continues, but I had a heck of a time getting myself on to the mat. I enjoy it so much once I get into it, so why is it so, so difficult to get started?

The mood of my day was lazy: my schedule on Friday is light, so there's no need to rush. This morning I slept in a bit, surfed the web in bed, eventually took a walk. I got sucked into the Internet for another hour or so, then finally practised in the afternoon. It was one of those mornings when I was in my yoga clothes for hours before I got around to actually doing yoga!

I do love these afternoon practices though. My body is so open! I felt good - not too sore - which means my body is adjusting to my busier teaching schedule. Looking forward to the weekend and having some down time to do some reading.

The dog usually inserts herself into the Primary Series somewhere during Supta Padangusthasana when I have a hand free to rub her neck. Today, when I put my nasty, smelly Mysore rug in the sun to air out (note to self: time for some yoga laundry!) she immediately found it and made herself at home. Stinky, damp Mysore rug = Doggie heaven.

Dusty does Mysore

1 comment: